Senior Enterprise Architect
As the UK’s most innovative fintech, we’re taking a mobile-first approach and redefining what a bank should be. Using technology, we’re making things easier, transparent and better value for people and businesses.
Based in Durham, we’re committed to bringing world-class career opportunities and developing a strong tech culture in the North East. Our team currently has 350 brilliant people and is still growing; could you be the next innovator to join us?
We’re looking for mindful, empathetic and self-aware people to join our teams in Durham and London, and help us innovate and disrupt the market with our cutting-edge, digital banking solution.
Here’s some of tech we use...
- Google Cloud Platform (GCP)
Our tech journey
We’re investing millions in building the best banking machine in the world on Google’s Cloud Platform. Read more about our move to GCP.
What else should you know…
Platform: We’ve taken the very best cloud native technologies and partnered them with contemporary data architecture to create a platform that we believe is the envy of the world. Read more about our partnership with Thought Machine and our use of hashed ledgers and smart contracts to change banking tech forever.
Agile principles: Our move to GCP means we can fully embrace agile principles with autonomous teams, rapid release cycles and automated testing.
Innovation: Named by KPMG as one of the top ten Global FinTech innovators for four consecutive years, and with multiple projects funded by the UK science budget to bring great analytics and tech to banking, you can expect to be working on cutting-edge projects utilising machine learning and artificial intelligence to transform the way people and businesses do banking.
The bank that’s leading the fintech charge.
We’re not like the rest. We’re true innovators, and we’re redefining what a bank should be. Ours is a bank for today and the future, a mobile-first bank. Forget the stuffy branches, with Atom you can bank whenever, wherever, faster and simpler.
Based in Durham, we’re committed to bringing world-class career opportunities and developing a strong tech culture in the North East and throughout the UK.
Our team currently has over 400 brilliant people and is still growing; could you be the next innovator to join us?
Want to join us?
As a Senior Enterprise Architect you will oversee a team of Enterprise & Data Architects, setting standards to create a high performing team and culture. We are seeking a leader to own Enterprise and Data Architecture within the bank and provide architectural direction to the team.
The primary objective of this role is to identify, deliver and maintain industry leading value, efficiency and resilience in the Atom IT Application, Data and Technology estate using an innovative mix of internal and external/partner capabilities.
This is a rare and exciting opportunity to combine a passion for new technology, leadership, experience in the digital realm and a commitment to making a significant positive impact to Atom. You’ll get the chance to fine tune your existing skills and develop some new technical super-powers along the way.
What will your ‘typical’ day look like…. (there’s no 2 days the same in Atom):
- Be responsible for growth and value creation through strategic IT and Fintech partnerships
- Accountable for IT-enabled change improvements that support the scaling of the technology function, whilst sustaining best in class technology total cost of ownership
- Accountable for the creation and maintenance of IT roadmaps plus other related deliverables, with the support of key stakeholders in IT and the wider business
- Deliver architectural initiatives that drive revenue and improve efficiency in line with business strategy
- Develop and maintain current and planned state architectural blueprints and reference architectures
- Develop and maintain an aspirational architectural road map for the enterprise
- Communicate architectural decisions, plans, goals and strategies
- Develop architectural metrics and reports for the executive team, business and IT management
- Oversee the design and implementation of enterprise data and metadata structures
- Create a plan to integrate business systems and workflows in support of business strategy
- Develop and enforce best practices for strategic Data Architecture
- Deliver requisite program documentation including program charters, schedules, requirements documents, specifications, design documents and testing strategies
- Provide architectural consulting to programs, projects and initiatives
- Act as the focal point for enterprise architecture and data standards
- Develop, communicate, and deploy Enterprise Architecture Governance processes & Enterprise technology standards and policies
- Identify architectural risks and propose alternatives and solutions.
What do we need from you?
- Ability to unblock architecture issues with third parties through relationships and escalations thereby minimising negative impacts on delivery
- An extensive background in architecture with previous experience across enterprise or solution architecture
- Proven experience of demonstrating good industry practices and behaviours in architecture and broader within technology and change
- Understanding of Digital, Data, Cloud, APIs and Middleware & Web technologies
- Strong project management skills / qualifications ideally with Agile and Waterfall methodologies
- Experience in defining and managing activities with quantifiable measures to deliver architecture work to planned schedules, budgets and quality to support broader delivery
- Very clear communicator both written and verbally.
What we’d ideally like you to have?
- Masters or Doctorate level qualification in IT or Strategy related field
- Understanding of Mobile and Web Frontend technologies
- Strong experience in managing architecture teams and architecting within Financial Services
- Architecture Certification: TOGAF or equivalent
- Methodology Certification: SAFE5 Architect or equivalent
- Successful end to end delivery of architecture initiatives with multi-million pound budgets at the portfolio level
- Ability to define and manage Change Control experience and engage within IT Governance processes
- Experience of budgeting and negotiation
- Management of 3rd party engagements (from selection, through execution to closeout)
- Strong industry relationships with product vendors and IT community.
What you’ll get from us:
- Competitive Salary
- Annual Share Option – performance related
- Incredibly generous company pension scheme (maximum of 13% of Atom input – candidate can put in more)
- ‘All About Me’ fund: £200 per year to spend on personal development
- 25 days holiday + 8 statutory days (rising by half a day with every year in the company)
- Private Medical Insurance for you and full family
- Health Cash Plan – expenses paid on Optical/Dental/other appointments/treatments
- Life Insurance – 4 times annual salary
- Critical illness cover – 1 x lump sum annual salary
- Cycle to work Scheme
- Continuous development – professional qualifications
- Challenging and exciting working environment.
PLEASE NOTE: You must have the legal right to work in the UK to apply for this role as Atom Bank are unable to support Visa Applications/Sponsorship
The legal bit.
If you send us your CV we'll use your details when we’re looking at your application for this job. We'll also store your CV for six months in case any roles that we think you'd be a great fit for become available.
If you don’t want us to use your details for this, or if you'd like any information at all about how we use your data, then just let us know at