As the UK’s most innovative fintech, we’re taking a mobile-first approach and redefining what a bank should be. Using technology, we’re making things easier, transparent and better value for people and businesses.
Based in Durham, we’re committed to bringing world-class career opportunities and developing a strong tech culture in the North East. Our team currently has 350 brilliant people and is still growing; could you be the next innovator to join us?
We’re looking for mindful, empathetic and self-aware people to join our teams in Durham and London, and help us innovate and disrupt the market with our cutting-edge, digital banking solution.
Here’s some of tech we use...
- Google Cloud Platform (GCP)
Our tech journey
We’re investing millions in building the best banking machine in the world on Google’s Cloud Platform. Read more about our move to GCP.
What else should you know…
Platform: We’ve taken the very best cloud native technologies and partnered them with contemporary data architecture to create a platform that we believe is the envy of the world. Read more about our partnership with Thought Machine and our use of hashed ledgers and smart contracts to change banking tech forever.
Agile principles: Our move to GCP means we can fully embrace agile principles with autonomous teams, rapid release cycles and automated testing.
Innovation: Named by KPMG as one of the top ten Global FinTech innovators for four consecutive years, and with multiple projects funded by the UK science budget to bring great analytics and tech to banking, you can expect to be working on cutting-edge projects utilising machine learning and artificial intelligence to transform the way people and businesses do banking.
We’re Atom bank
We’re an app-based bank, so we don’t have any branches on the high street. Traditional we are not. Even our ad campaigns are a little bit different.
- Featured in London Stock Exchange’s 1,000 Companies to Inspire Britain 2019
- Ranked 12th in Business Cloud’s 100 FinTech disruptors list which looks at the UK’s most exciting financial technology companies
- Named in the Chronicle’s top 50 best places to work in the North East (listed in the top 20)
- The UK’s most trusted bank on Trustpilot
Want to join us?
We’re on a mission to disrupt banking, and with exciting and challenging work and outstanding perks, it means we work in an environment in which you can personally grow.
That’s why, when we’re recruiting, we’re looking for individuals who are as enthusiastic and passionate as we are about changing banking for the better.
We are looking to add a Senior Project Manager who’s primary ongoing responsibility will be the leadership, management and delivery of strategic Projects, Portfolios & Programmes across the Atom Bank portfolio. Each project is aligned to Atom Banks strategic pillars with the role to focus on the technical and business delivery of all changes.
The role will be accountable for working with the Atom business, technology function and our key 3rd parties to shape and drive projects to ensure delivery is achieved consistently on time, to scope and to budget. Strong internal and external stakeholder management skills will also be required as on occasions external agencies will be included within the delivery scope
The role also entails line management responsibilities with the ability to inspire, motivate and provide clear direction to colleagues. This should be aligned to Atoms core HR policies and procedures.
All roles within Atom must adhere to the Conduct Rules as set out by the Prudential Regulation Authority (PRA) and the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA).
As part of our journey in building and running a bank we’ll encounter many risks along the way. In order to make sure the road doesn’t become too bumpy we expect everyone to make a conscious effort to proactively tackle and highlight any risks that we might face.
What will your ‘typical’ day look like…. (there’s no 2 days the same in Atom):
- Shape and establish governance of projects, establishing a Project/Programme/Portfolio Delivery Structure (PDS) outlining clear roles, responsibilities and ownership
- Install a framework which can be evidenced to demonstrate quality of delivery
- Lead, create and baseline clear and concise detailed project/implementation plans with identified critical paths ensuring resource commitment is obtained from all impacted parties
- Project manage the delivery and implementation of the project across multiple workstreams and stakeholders
- Influence all stakeholders and provide solutions/options to challenges ensuring time, cost and quality is always considered
- Present oral and written reports outlining progress etc ensuring the audience is always considered
- Lead, inspire and empower colleagues to take ownership of their delivery scope
- Lead decision making discussions and encourage knowledge sharing through various tools and techniques
- Create a collaborative project environment which empowers stakeholders to become creative in their provision of requirements and decision making
- Set and meet realistic deadlines ensuring stakeholder expectations and buy in is agreed to achieve project success
- Management of portfolios of work ensuring resource, delivery plans and budget are managed effectively
- Enhance the brand by representing Atom externally through various project assignments (e.g. payments/Gov agencies, roadshows)
- Use of industry knowledge/experience to challenge and influence Atoms future business aspiration
- Provide line management (within specific domain allocated core resource) ensuring colleagues are motivated and consistently achieve high performance targets aligned to objectives
What do we need from you?
- Demonstrable experience of managing successful projects/programmes/portfolios in the specific area of expertise with experience of managing large/strategic projects of work
- Experience of managing external bodies/agency’s (FCA, PRA) as part of a regulatory/government implementation
- Expertise and experience in both Waterfall and Agile delivery techniques
- Agility, Flexibility and resilience
- Persistent demonstration of leadership and control
- Strong ability to influence and negotiate
What would we ideally like from you?
- Degree level qualified
- Industry expert
- Member of a professional organisation e.g. Prince2/MSP/APM etc
What you’ll get from us:
- Competitive Salary
- Annual Share Option – performance related
- Incredibly generous Company pension scheme, candidate contributes (maximum of 13% of Atom input – candidate can put in more)
- ‘All About Me’ fund - £200 per year to spend on personal development
- 25 days holiday + 8 statutory days - rising by half a day with every year in the company
- Private Medical Insurance for you and full family
- Health Cash Plan – expenses paid on Optical/Dental/other appointments/treatments
- Life Insurance – 4 times annual salary
- Critical illness cover – 1 x lump sum annual salary
- Cycle to work Scheme
- Continuous development – professional qualifications.
- Challenging and exciting working environment
PLEASE NOTE: You must have the legal right to work in the UK to apply for this role as Atom Bank are unable to support Visa Applications/Sponsorship
How do I apply?
Email your application to
with the job title you’re applying for in the subject heading and attach your CV. This is your chance to be you.
The legal bit.
If you send us your CV we'll use your details when we’re looking at your application for this job. We'll also store your CV for six months in case any roles that we think you'd be a great fit for become available.
If you don’t want us to use your details for this, or if you'd like any information at all about how we use your data, then just let us know at