As the UK’s most innovative fintech, we’re taking a mobile-first approach and redefining what a bank should be. Using technology, we’re making things easier, transparent and better value for people and businesses.
Based in Durham, we’re committed to bringing world-class career opportunities and developing a strong tech culture in the North East. Our team currently has 350 brilliant people and is still growing; could you be the next innovator to join us?
We’re looking for mindful, empathetic and self-aware people to join our teams in Durham and London, and help us innovate and disrupt the market with our cutting-edge, digital banking solution.
Here’s some of tech we use...
- Google Cloud Platform (GCP)
Our tech journey
We’re investing millions in building the best banking machine in the world on Google’s Cloud Platform. Read more about our move to GCP.
What else should you know…
Platform: We’ve taken the very best cloud native technologies and partnered them with contemporary data architecture to create a platform that we believe is the envy of the world. Read more about our partnership with Thought Machine and our use of hashed ledgers and smart contracts to change banking tech forever.
Agile principles: Our move to GCP means we can fully embrace agile principles with autonomous teams, rapid release cycles and automated testing.
Innovation: Named by KPMG as one of the top ten Global FinTech innovators for four consecutive years, and with multiple projects funded by the UK science budget to bring great analytics and tech to banking, you can expect to be working on cutting-edge projects utilising machine learning and artificial intelligence to transform the way people and businesses do banking.
Atom has recently been awarded £10m from a fund created to boost competition and innovation in small business banking. With this grant, Atom will deliver a highly engaging, tailored, data-driven financial toolkit for small businesses alongside a suite of Smart Lending products underpinned by Atom’s unique smart contract technology and machine learning capabilities. A Senior Project Manager is required to join our cross-functional team to help bring this exciting proposition to market.
Primary ongoing responsibility is for the leadership, management and delivery of strategic Projects, Portfolios & Programmes across the Atom Bank portfolio. Each project is aligned to Atom Banks strategic pillars with the role to focus on the technical and business delivery of all changes.
The role will be accountable for working with the Atom business, technology function and our key 3rd parties to shape and drive projects to ensure delivery is achieved consistently on time, to scope and to budget. Strong internal and external stakeholder management skills will also be required as on occasions external agencies (E.g. FCA, PRA, Faster Payments etc.) will be included within the delivery scope
Experience in regulatory, finance and treasury programmes and projects with extensive industry knowledge of PSD2, GDPR, IRB, Securitisations etc. Demonstrable delivery experience is required with the ability to lead and challenge the status quo based on industry knowledge and best working practices. Considerable experience of managing external agencies e.g. BoE, HMT etc should also be demonstrated.
Payments projects including CHAPs, BACs, Faster Payments and Cheque Imaging and Clearing. Extensive Knowledge of future payments initiatives such as blockchain, cryptocurrency etc is also required to assist with the shaping of Atoms future payments strategy. Demonstrable delivery experience is required with the ability to lead and challenge the status quo based on industry knowledge and best working practices. Considerable experience of managing external agencies e.g. C&CCC, Faster Payments, CHAPs, BACs etc should also be demonstrated.
Due to the number of 3rd parties involved within Atom bank then this role requires strong leadership and diplomacy skills in that the individual should be able to influence whilst building strong dependable relationships with 3rd parties to ultimately achieve delivery on time and to pre-agreed cost and quality.
The role also entails line management responsibilities with the ability to inspire, motivate and provide clear direction to colleagues. This should be aligned to Atoms core HR policies and procedures.
- Shape and establish governance of projects. Establishes a Project/Programme/Portfolio Delivery Structure (PDS) outlining clear roles, responsibilities and ownership.
- Install a framework which can be evidenced to demonstrate quality of delivery.
- Lead, create and baseline clear and concise detailed project/implementation plans with identified critical paths ensuring resource commitment is obtained from all impacted parties.
- Project manage the delivery and implementation of the project across multiple workstreams and stakeholders.
- Influence all stakeholders and provide solutions/options to challenges ensuring time, cost and quality is considered at all times.
- Robust, collaborative and motivational leader able to lead a large team and line management in achieving its goals.
- Present oral and written reports outling progress etc ensuring the audience is considered at all times.
- Operate in a calm, controlled manner which inspires confidence and trust across all stakeholders.
- Lead, Inspire and empower colleagues to take ownership of their delivery scope. Lead decision making discussions and encourage knowledge sharing through various tools and techniques.
- Create a collaborative project environment which empowers stakeholders to become creative in their solutionising of requirements and decision making.
- Set and meet realistic deadlines ensuring stakeholder expectations and buy in is agreed to achieve project success.
- Management of portfolios of work ensuring resource, delivery plans and budget are managed effectively.
- Enhance the brand by representing Atom externally through various project assignments (e.g. payments/Gov agencies, roadshows).
- Use of industry knowledge/experience to challenge and influence Atoms future business aspirations.
- Provide line management (within specific domain allocated core resource) ensuring colleagues are motivated and consistently achieve high performance targets aligned to objectives.
Key Performance Indicators
- Establishment of effective relationships with external suppliers and key stakeholders.
- Consistent delivery to time, budget and scope.
- Adherence to defined and agreed project methodologies.
- Internal Stakeholder feedback.
- Clear and concise delivery plans and reporting.
- No surprises through consistent reporting.
- Effective and smooth project delivery with subsequent transition into service/BAU.
- Frequent high-quality delivery and management of portfolios of work.
- Post Implementation Reviews and Post Benefit Reviews.
- Agreement of closure of warranty periods in line with Business/Service Acceptance criteria.
- Minimum 7 years of demonstrable experience of managing successful projects/programmes/portfolios in the specific area of expertise with experience of managing large/strategic projects of work.
- Experience of managing external bodies/agency’s (FCA, PRA, Payments Council etc) as part of a regulatory/government implementation.
- Member of a professional organisation e.g. Prince2/MSP/APM etc.
- Expertise and experience in both Waterfall and Agile delivery techniques.
- Agility, Flexibility and resilience.
- Persistent demonstration of leadership and control.
- Strong ability to influence and negotiate.
- Degree level qualified
- Industry expert
How do I apply?
Email your application to
with the job title you’re applying for in the subject heading and attach your CV. This is your chance to be you.
The legal bit.
If you send us your CV we'll use your details when we’re looking at your application for this job. We'll also store your CV for six months in case any roles that we think you'd be a great fit for become available.
If you don’t want us to use your details for this, or if you'd like any information at all about how we use your data, then just let us know at