Site Reliability Engineer DBA
As the UK’s most innovative fintech, we’re taking a mobile-first approach and redefining what a bank should be. Using technology, we’re making things easier, transparent and better value for people and businesses.
Based in Durham, we’re committed to bringing world-class career opportunities and developing a strong tech culture in the North East. Our team currently has 350 brilliant people and is still growing; could you be the next innovator to join us?
We’re looking for mindful, empathetic and self-aware people to join our teams in Durham and London, and help us innovate and disrupt the market with our cutting-edge, digital banking solution.
Here’s some of tech we use...
- Google Cloud Platform (GCP)
Our tech journey
We’re investing millions in building the best banking machine in the world on Google’s Cloud Platform. Read more about our move to GCP.
What else should you know…
Platform: We’ve taken the very best cloud native technologies and partnered them with contemporary data architecture to create a platform that we believe is the envy of the world. Read more about our partnership with Thought Machine and our use of hashed ledgers and smart contracts to change banking tech forever.
Agile principles: Our move to GCP means we can fully embrace agile principles with autonomous teams, rapid release cycles and automated testing.
Innovation: Named by KPMG as one of the top ten Global FinTech innovators for four consecutive years, and with multiple projects funded by the UK science budget to bring great analytics and tech to banking, you can expect to be working on cutting-edge projects utilising machine learning and artificial intelligence to transform the way people and businesses do banking.
We’re Atom bank
We’re an app only bank, so we don’t have any branches on the high street. Traditional we are not. Even our ad campaigns are a little bit different.
- Featured in London Stock Exchange’s 1,000 Companies to Inspire Britain 2019
- Ranked 12th in Business Cloud’s 100 FinTech disruptors list which looks at the UK’s most exciting financial technology companies
- Named in the Chronicle’s top 50 best places to work in the North East (listed in the top 20)
Want to join us?
Atom is the UK’s first bank built exclusively for mobile. It’s redefining what a bank should be, making things easier, transparent and better value in the world of finance. We’re taking a mobile-first approach and redefining what a bank should be. Using technology, we’re making things easier, transparent and better value for people and businesses.
We’re on a mission to disrupt banking, and with exciting and challenging work and outstanding perks, it means we work in an environment in which you can personally grow. That’s why, when we’re recruiting, we’re looking for individuals who are as enthusiastic and passionate as we are about changing banking for the better.
Technology is what makes the world go round. It is also what enables us to offer the most efficient, user-friendly app-based bank and ensures that we remain an employer of choice in the Fintech space. The Technology team is made up of; Testing, Engineering, DevOps, Change, Service Management & Architecture. Together they design, develop and deliver a customer journey that represents Atom and its strong values throughout.
The DevOps team works at the heart of Atom. The team is made up of site reliability engineers, cloud specialists, testers, and scrum masters. Together they ensure that Atom manages its Google Cloud Platform infrastructure and environments which enable developers to develop, testers to test and customers to use Atom the production app. Automation is at the heart of everything we do in DevOps, providing speed, reliability and consistency across the entire Atom cloud platform.
The Site Reliability Engineer DBA for Atom’s Core Banking platform provides hands-on capability to build, operate and ensure the platform is highly available, resilient and performant for Atom’s customers and internal technology teams.
What will your ‘typical’ day look like…. (there’s no 2 days the same in Atom):
- You wil be working in one of our Agile build teams, who focus on building new and optimising existing infrastructure-as-code automated pipelines
- Be able to collaborate and work in a fast-paced Agile environment
- Work with other team members, to design and develop a wide range of key system
- Participate in daily stand-ups and discussions with developers, engineering teams and project managers
- Work with SREs to break requirements down into stories and tasks, along with work estimates
- Ensure the best practices of trustworthy computing and secure development and implementation lifecycle are adhered to
- Ensure our engineering processes have a focus on scalability and performance
- Working with other team members to facilitate regular software releases using a continuous delivery pipeline
- Own the development of new automation all the way through to the Atom Production environment
What do we need from you?
- Cloud computing experience, ideally GCP, however AWS and/or Azure is acceptable
- Knowledge of Cloud computing fundamentals, e.g. Cloud IAM, Networks, Virtual Machines, Kubernetes, and Cloud native services, such as logging & monitoring
- Ability to work in a fast-paced Agile environment, with a particular focus on DevOps and Site Reliability Engineering practices
- Hands-on development experience of Infrastructure-tooling (e.g. Packer, Terraform, Ansible)
- Experience of administering Cloud database-as-a-service for Postgres or native Postgres database instances Ability to identify and technically interpret issues to route cause via Log Files and Logging Platform Analysis
- Working knowledge of Web Services and associated architectures/technologies, RESTful APIs, API Platform(s), ESB Platform(s), API Security Concepts
- Understanding of security best practices with regards to Cloud computing
- Knowledge of Linux RHEL commands to facilitate service management/restoration of service, and analysis
- A passion for developing and learning
What would we ideally like from you?
- Agility and Flexibility
- Good relationship building skills
- Ability to work within cross functional teams
- Resilience, ability to work towards tight timescales
- Financial Services or Regulated Environment Experience
- Knowledge of Development Language(s), ideally Java, Python or C-Like Language(s)
- Broad understanding of Systems Architecture
- Broad understanding of version control software and code branching concepts (e.g. GitFlow
What you’ll get from us:
- Competitive Salary
- Annual Share Option – performance related
- Incredibly generous Company pension scheme, candidate contributes (maximum of 13% of Atom input – candidate can put in more)
- ‘All About Me’ fund - £200 per year to spend on personal development
- 25 days holiday + 8 statutory days - rising by half a day with every year in the company
- Private Medical Insurance for you and full family
- Health Cash Plan – expenses paid on Optical/Dental/other appointments/treatments
- Life Insurance – 4 times annual salary
- Critical illness cover – 1 x lump sum annual salary
- Cycle to work Scheme
- Continuous development – professional qualifications
- Challenging and exciting working environment
PLEASE NOTE: You must have the legal right to work in the UK to apply for this role as Atom Bank are unable to support Visa Applications/Sponsorship
The legal bit.
If you send us your CV we'll use your details when we’re looking at your application for this job. We'll also store your CV for six months in case any roles that we think you'd be a great fit for become available.
If you don’t want us to use your details for this, or if you'd like any information at all about how we use your data, then just let us know at