As the UK’s most innovative fintech, we’re taking a mobile-first approach and redefining what a bank should be. Using technology, we’re making things easier, transparent and better value for people and businesses.
Based in Durham, we’re committed to bringing world-class career opportunities and developing a strong tech culture in the North East. Our team currently has 350 brilliant people and is still growing; could you be the next innovator to join us?
We’re looking for mindful, empathetic and self-aware people to join our teams in Durham and London, and help us innovate and disrupt the market with our cutting-edge, digital banking solution.
Here’s some of tech we use...
- Google Cloud Platform (GCP)
Our tech journey
We’re investing millions in building the best banking machine in the world on Google’s Cloud Platform. Read more about our move to GCP.
What else should you know…
Platform: We’ve taken the very best cloud native technologies and partnered them with contemporary data architecture to create a platform that we believe is the envy of the world. Read more about our partnership with Thought Machine and our use of hashed ledgers and smart contracts to change banking tech forever.
Agile principles: Our move to GCP means we can fully embrace agile principles with autonomous teams, rapid release cycles and automated testing.
Innovation: Named by KPMG as one of the top ten Global FinTech innovators for four consecutive years, and with multiple projects funded by the UK science budget to bring great analytics and tech to banking, you can expect to be working on cutting-edge projects utilising machine learning and artificial intelligence to transform the way people and businesses do banking.
The bank that’s leading the fintech charge.
We’re not like the rest. We’re true innovators, and we’re redefining what a bank should be. Ours is a bank for today and the future, a mobile-first bank. Forget the stuffy branches, with Atom you can bank whenever, wherever, faster and simpler.
Based in Durham, we’re committed to bringing world-class career opportunities and developing a strong tech culture in the North East and throughout the UK.
Our team currently has over 400 brilliant people and is still growing; could you be the next innovator to join us? This role can be based out of either of our offices in Durham or London, or remote with 3-4 days a month in the office.
- Featured in London Stock Exchange’s 1,000 Companies to Inspire Britain 2019
- Ranked 12th in Business Cloud’s 100 FinTech disruptors list which looks at the UK’s most exciting financial technology companies
- Named in the Chronicle’s top 50 best places to work in the North East (listed in the top 20)
Want to join us?
We’re on a mission to disrupt banking, and with exciting and challenging work and outstanding perks, it means we work in an environment in which you can personally grow. That’s why, when we’re recruiting, we’re looking for individuals who are as enthusiastic and passionate as we are about changing banking for the better.
As a Solutions Architect you will partner with business and technical teams to craft highly scalable, flexible, cost effective and resilient solutions that address customer’s underserved needs and accelerate the adoption of Atom. As trusted customer advocates, the Solutions Architecture team helps the organization to understand best practices around solutions that align to business outcomes.
At Atom, we recognise the importance and role that architecture plays in our journey. The role of the Solutions Architect is an enterprise-wide one and links business mission, strategy and processes of an organization to its technology strategy, and documents this using multiple architectural models that show how Atom transitions from its current state to meet the future needs of the organization in a sustainable and adaptable manner.
This is a rare and exciting opportunity to combine a passion for new technology, experience in the digital realm and a commitment to making a significant positive impact to Atom and you’ll get the chance to fine tune your existing skills and develop some new technical super-powers along the way.
- As a member of the solutions team, you will be adept at turning business and customer needs into well considered solution architectures and designs, using your experience and judgement to balance pace of delivery with quality of outcome
- Participate in deep architectural discussions to ensure solutions are designed for successful deployment into various environments
- Conduct one-to-few and one-to-many discovery and elaboration sessions with the business, development, marketing, training, and technical teams to transfer knowledge of customer solutions
- Capture and share best-practice knowledge amongst the Atom Architecture community
- Author or otherwise contribute to Atom publications such as whitepapers, solutions marketing, reference architectures, and reference implementations
- Build trusted relationships with senior business and technical individuals within Atom and partners
- Seek to identify areas of continuous improvement in both the technology and in the personal development arenas
All roles within Atom must adhere to the Conduct Rules as set out by the Prudential Regulation Authority (PRA) and the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA).
As part of our journey in building and running a bank we’ll encounter many risks along the way. In order to make sure the road doesn’t become too bumpy we expect everyone to make a conscious effort to proactively tackle and highlight any risks that we might face
What do we need from you?
- Considerable experience in an architecture role
- Possess a credible command of digital technologies and benefits they offer, including mobile, cloud, big data, analytics & APIs
- Be curious and have a passion for learning and applying relevant new technologies and design patterns to solving real-world business problems
- Experience in one or more of: native cloud architecture, modern application architectures, modern data architectures
- Show a systematic, disciplined, and analytical approach to problem solving and pay close attention to detail
- Strong presentation skills, with the ability to present ideas clearly and at short notice to a mix of technical and business audiences
- Strong written communication skills
- Strong stakeholder management skills, comfortable dealing with challenge and ambiguity.
- Practitioner familiar with architectural frameworks, tools and methods e.g. UML, TOGAF, ArchiMate
- Understanding of both established Enterprise Architecture patterns and more progressive approachestectural frameworks e.g. TOGAF, BIAN, eTOM
What would we ideally like from you?
- RFP/Vendor-selection experience
- Familiar with the full Software Delivery Lifecycle both Waterfall and Agile
- Software engineering background as a developer or a data engineer is useful
- Possess in-depth design knowledge in any of the following:
- Consumer Mobile Applications & Architectures e.g. Android, Apple iOS
- Financial Services technologies e.g. PSD2, CoP, Open Banking
- SOAP and REST APIs, API Gateways & API Management
- SaaS/PaaS/IaaS on a leading public cloud platform.
- Event Sourcing, Microservices, DDD
- Data Streaming/Kafka
What you’ll get from us:
- Competitive Salary
- Annual Share Option – performance related
- Incredibly generous Company pension scheme, candidate contributes (maximum of 13% of Atom input – candidate can put in more)
- ‘All About Me’ fund - £200 per year to spend on personal development
- 25 days holiday + 8 statutory days - rising by half a day with every year in the company
- Private Medical Insurance for you and full family
- Health Cash Plan – expenses paid on Optical/Dental/other appointments/treatments
- Life Insurance – 4 times annual salary
- Critical illness cover – 1 x lump sum annual salary
- Cycle to work Scheme
- Continuous development – professional qualifications
- Challenging and exciting working environment
PLEASE NOTE: You must have the legal right to work in the UK to apply for this role as Atom Bank are unable to support Visa Applications/Sponsorship
The legal bit.
If you send us your CV we'll use your details when we’re looking at your application for this job. We'll also store your CV for six months in case any roles that we think you'd be a great fit for become available.
If you don’t want us to use your details for this, or if you'd like any information at all about how we use your data, then just let us know at