As the UK’s most innovative fintech, we’re taking a mobile-first approach and redefining what a bank should be. Using technology, we’re making things easier, transparent and better value for people and businesses.
Based in Durham, we’re committed to bringing world-class career opportunities and developing a strong tech culture in the North East. Our team currently has 350 brilliant people and is still growing; could you be the next innovator to join us?
We’re looking for mindful, empathetic and self-aware people to join our teams in Durham and London, and help us innovate and disrupt the market with our cutting-edge, digital banking solution.
Here’s some of tech we use...
- Google Cloud Platform (GCP)
Our tech journey
We’re investing millions in building the best banking machine in the world on Google’s Cloud Platform. Read more about our move to GCP.
What else should you know…
Platform: We’ve taken the very best cloud native technologies and partnered them with contemporary data architecture to create a platform that we believe is the envy of the world. Read more about our partnership with Thought Machine and our use of hashed ledgers and smart contracts to change banking tech forever.
Agile principles: Our move to GCP means we can fully embrace agile principles with autonomous teams, rapid release cycles and automated testing.
Innovation: Named by KPMG as one of the top ten Global FinTech innovators for four consecutive years, and with multiple projects funded by the UK science budget to bring great analytics and tech to banking, you can expect to be working on cutting-edge projects utilising machine learning and artificial intelligence to transform the way people and businesses do banking.
In this role you will partner with business and technical teams to craft highly scalable, flexible, and resilient solutions that address customer use cases and accelerate the adoption of Atom. As trusted customer advocates, the Solutions Architecture team helps the organization to understand best practices around solutions that align to business outcomes.
You will help shape and execute a strategy to build solutions for a broad range of customer use cases for retail and business banking customers. The ability to connect technology with measurable business value is critical to the Solutions Architecture team. You should also have a demonstrated ability to think strategically about business, products, and technical challenges.
With that, we recognise the importance and role that architecture will play in that journey. The role of the solution architect is an enterprise-wide one and links business mission, strategy and processes of an organisation to its technology strategy and documents this using multiple architectural models that show how Atom transitions from its current state to meet the future needs of the organisation in a sustainable and adaptable manner.
You must have the ability to produce innovative strategic technology roadmaps, communicate the approach effectively to senior stakeholders and balance delivery of early business value with strategic progression. Proven ability for driving change through adoption of appropriate technology and design principles.
- As a member of the solutions team, you will develop solutions that help customers build and migrate applications, software and services on the Atom platform
- Participate in deep architectural discussions to ensure solutions are designed for successful deployment into various environments
- Conduct one-to-few and one-to-many training sessions with the business development, marketing, training, and technical teams to transfer knowledge of customer solutions
- Ensure solutions are packaged in an easily consumable and repeatable way for customers and internal teams including marketing, solutions architecture, and support
- Capture and share best-practice knowledge amongst the solutions architect community
- Author or otherwise contribute to Atom customer-facing publications such as whitepapers, solutions marketing, reference architectures, and reference implementations
- Build deep relationships with senior technical individuals within Atom and partners
All roles within Atom must adhere to the Conduct Rules as set out by the Prudential Regulation Authority (PRA) and the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA).
As part of our journey in building and running a bank we’ll encounter many risks along the way. In order to make sure the road doesn’t become too bumpy we expect everyone to make a conscious effort to proactively tackle and highlight any risks that we might face.
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or other related and relevant field; or equivalent work experience
- Experience of design/implementation/consulting with distributed applications
- Experience in one or more of: infrastructure architecture, applications architecture, microservice design, database architecture and networking
- Shows a systematic, disciplined and analytical approach to problem solving and pays close attention to detail
- Presentation skills with a high degree of comfort with both large and small audiences
- Strong written communication skills
- High level of comfort communicating effectively across internal and external organization
- An understanding of architectural frameworks e.g. TOGAF, BIAN, eTOM
- Expertise in deployments across Cloud, on-premise and Hybrid technology estates, specifically Google Cloud
- RFP/Vendor-selection experience
- Is familiar with the software engineering life cycle for development and the concepts and practices required to implement effective
- Strong mobile development understanding
How do I apply?
Email your application to
with the job title you’re applying for in the subject heading and attach your CV. This is your chance to be you.
The legal bit.
If you send us your CV we'll use your details when we’re looking at your application for this job. We'll also store your CV for six months in case any roles that we think you'd be a great fit for become available.
If you don’t want us to use your details for this, or if you'd like any information at all about how we use your data, then just let us know at