SRE Architecture & Development Lead
As the UK’s most innovative fintech, we’re taking a mobile-first approach and redefining what a bank should be. Using technology, we’re making things easier, transparent and better value for people and businesses.
Based in Durham, we’re committed to bringing world-class career opportunities and developing a strong tech culture in the North East. Our team currently has 350 brilliant people and is still growing; could you be the next innovator to join us?
We’re looking for mindful, empathetic and self-aware people to join our teams in Durham and London, and help us innovate and disrupt the market with our cutting-edge, digital banking solution.
Here’s some of tech we use...
- Google Cloud Platform (GCP)
Our tech journey
We’re investing millions in building the best banking machine in the world on Google’s Cloud Platform. Read more about our move to GCP.
What else should you know…
Platform: We’ve taken the very best cloud native technologies and partnered them with contemporary data architecture to create a platform that we believe is the envy of the world. Read more about our partnership with Thought Machine and our use of hashed ledgers and smart contracts to change banking tech forever.
Agile principles: Our move to GCP means we can fully embrace agile principles with autonomous teams, rapid release cycles and automated testing.
Innovation: Named by KPMG as one of the top ten Global FinTech innovators for four consecutive years, and with multiple projects funded by the UK science budget to bring great analytics and tech to banking, you can expect to be working on cutting-edge projects utilising machine learning and artificial intelligence to transform the way people and businesses do banking.
The bank that’s leading the fintech charge.
We’re not like the rest. We’re true innovators, and we’re redefining what a bank should be. Ours is a bank for today and the future, a mobile-first bank. Forget the stuffy branches, with Atom you can bank whenever, wherever, faster and simpler.
Based in Durham, we’re committed to bringing world-class career opportunities and developing a strong tech culture in the North East and throughout the UK.
Our team currently has over 400 brilliant people and is still growing; could you be the next innovator to join us?
Want to join us?
We’re on a mission to disrupt banking, and with exciting and challenging work and outstanding perks, it means we work in an environment in which you can personally grow. That’s why, when we’re recruiting, we’re looking for individuals who are as enthusiastic and passionate as we are about changing banking for the better.
The DevOps team works at the heart of Atom. The team is made up of site reliability engineers, cloud specialists, testers, and a scrum master. Together they ensure that Atom manages its Google Cloud Platform infrastructure and environments which enable developers to develop, testers to test and customers to use Atom production app. Automation is at the heart of everything we do in DevOps, providing speed, reliability and consistency across the entire Atom cloud platform.
The role will provide technical and people leadership to the DevOps team, which is one of the key capabilities within the Atom Engineering practice. This person will hold overall responsibility and accountability for the site reliability engineering effort in the team to ensure cloud infrastructure/environments and applications are deployed in a secure, consistent, repeatable and reliable way.
The scope of this role spans the entire software development lifecycle, from developer environments, all the way through to the production. We are looking for someone with a passion for DevOps/Agile methodologies, coupled with a strong technology architecture background and hands-on experience of working in public cloud environments.
In addition, you’ll be tasked with driving the improvement of our automation platform and pipelines, whilst at the same time ensuring standards and security requirements are adhered to. You’ll be a key leader in the Engineering practice, so must be someone who is comfortable and capable at leading a team of technical engineers in a fast-paced Agile environment.
What will your ‘typical’ day look like…. (there’s no 2 days the same in Atom):
- Responsible for the overall technical leadership and continued development of the Atom DevOps team
- Own the technical roadmap for DevOps platform and automation pipelines, to ensure the wider Atom Engineering team have the right tooling and access
- Be the subject matter expert for Atom’s Google Cloud Platform, providing input and guidance to the wider Engineering team on best practices for developing, testing and deploying applications to GCP
- Focus on continued capability development of the DevOps team, with a particular focus on ensuring the team have the right technology skills to operate and enhance Atom’s DevOps and Cloud Platform
- Ensure standards are adhered to ensure secure, reliable and highly available infrastructure and applications are built and deployed on GCP
- Collaborate with Atom Test, Front End and Back End Engineering teams to ensure the Atom SDLC is optimised and meets the needs of the business with regards to velocity
- Collaborate with Atom’s Architecture and Advanced Engineering Group to ensure technology solutions for Atom’s Google Cloud Platform are sufficiently understood and scoped for the engineers to pick up and deliver using an Agile methodology
- Collaborate with Atom’s IT Service Delivery team to ensure the Atom production environment is secure, highly available and resilient.
What do we need from you?
- Significant experience of leading teams in an Agile/DevOps environment
- Significant experience of working with a public cloud platform, ideally Google Cloud Platform
- Experience of architecting technology solutions on public cloud to provide secure, resilient and scalable services
- Working Knowledge of best practices/standards in infrastructure-as-code automation
- Ability to collaborate with development and testing teams to ensure end-to-end capability development and velocity is maintained.
What we’d ideally like you to have?
- Google Cloud Architecture knowledge
- Infrastructure/Configuration as Code tooling knowledge
- Continuous Integration/Continuous Deployment tooling experience
- Working knowledge of development languages, e.g., Golang, Java & Python
- Strong written communications skills
- Strong presentation skills with a high degree of comfort presenting across the wider Atom technology team
- Knowledge of Agile methodologies (SCRUM, Kanban etc)
- Secure computing standards and processes knowledge.
What you’ll get from us:
- Competitive Salary
- Annual Share Option – performance related
- Incredibly generous company pension scheme (maximum of 13% of Atom input – candidate can put in more)
- ‘All About Me’ fund: £200 per year to spend on personal development
- 25 days holiday + 8 statutory days (rising by half a day with every year in the company)
- Private Medical Insurance for you and full family
- Health Cash Plan – expenses paid on Optical/Dental/other appointments/treatments
- Life Insurance – 4 times annual salary
- Critical illness cover – 1 x lump sum annual salary
- Cycle to work Scheme
- Continuous development – professional qualifications
- Challenging and exciting working environment
PLEASE NOTE: You must have the legal right to work in the UK to apply for this role as Atom Bank are unable to support Visa Applications/Sponsorship
The legal bit.
If you send us your CV we'll use your details when we’re looking at your application for this job. We'll also store your CV for six months in case any roles that we think you'd be a great fit for become available.
If you don’t want us to use your details for this, or if you'd like any information at all about how we use your data, then just let us know at