Technical Product Manager
As the UK’s most innovative fintech, we’re taking a mobile-first approach and redefining what a bank should be. Using technology, we’re making things easier, transparent and better value for people and businesses.
Based in Durham, we’re committed to bringing world-class career opportunities and developing a strong tech culture in the North East. Our team currently has 350 brilliant people and is still growing; could you be the next innovator to join us?
We’re looking for mindful, empathetic and self-aware people to join our teams in Durham and London, and help us innovate and disrupt the market with our cutting-edge, digital banking solution.
Here’s some of tech we use...
- Google Cloud Platform (GCP)
Our tech journey
We’re investing millions in building the best banking machine in the world on Google’s Cloud Platform. Read more about our move to GCP.
What else should you know…
Platform: We’ve taken the very best cloud native technologies and partnered them with contemporary data architecture to create a platform that we believe is the envy of the world. Read more about our partnership with Thought Machine and our use of hashed ledgers and smart contracts to change banking tech forever.
Agile principles: Our move to GCP means we can fully embrace agile principles with autonomous teams, rapid release cycles and automated testing.
Innovation: Named by KPMG as one of the top ten Global FinTech innovators for four consecutive years, and with multiple projects funded by the UK science budget to bring great analytics and tech to banking, you can expect to be working on cutting-edge projects utilising machine learning and artificial intelligence to transform the way people and businesses do banking.
The bank that’s leading the fintech charge.
Tech is at the heart of everything we do here at Atom. We’ve rebuilt the bank, from our app to our banking platform, to make sure it’s native and cloud based. Thanks to this approach, we can develop new products and ship updates to customers rapidly.
We have very little legacy, but that doesn’t stop us looking for ways to improve. Speed and efficiency are always a priority, but we never compromise on security, usability, or reliability getting there.
Our teams are multi-disciplined, well-structured, and set up to work in Agile Scrum or Kanban. We encourage collaboration and creative thinking when building products and services. Could you be the next innovator to join us?
Want to join us?
Technology is at the heart of the business, and we have a world-leading Technology stack that enables us to offer the most efficient, user-friendly app-based bank. The Technology team has end to end responsibility for all aspects of our Technology, from architecting the future, engineering solutions, to deploying and managing our technology services.
The Atom Technical Product Manager, “the TPM” is responsible for maximizing product value by defining the technical product goals, product roadmap, and managing the backlog. The TPM is responsible for coaching a small team of Technical Product Owners. The TPM has a workload of their own, focussing on the more complex initiatives, and so this can be viewed as a Player/Manager role where the aim is to lead by example.
You’ll work closely with the Financial Propositions & Product Management specialists and will utilise your strong technical background in managing technical aspects of the product development, in order to produce roadmaps, backlogs and clearly defined features across the three Atom pillars, Automate, Build & Control
You’ll work with teams across Atom’s Technology function to ensure products are broken down into discrete and deliverable business value increments with clear scope, complexity, priority, and customer impact.
What will your ‘typical’ day look like…. (there’s no two days the same in Atom):
- Collaboration with business and technical stakeholders to:
- create & maintain Digital/Technical Product Roadmaps for their domain
- help move business ideas to detailed feature definitions and release clusters
- break down problems into detailed system feature definitions
- lead on capture of feature business value, technical complexity, and priority – using techniques such as WSJF, RICE ad MoSCOW as appropriate
- lead on best practice for writing feature definitions in Jira
- manage the product feature backlog for their domain
- Clearly express and prioritise Product Backlog items to best achieve goals and missions
- Balance external business and internal Atom interests in this priority setting
- Ensure and review the value of the work the Development Team performs
- Proactively ensure relevant stakeholders are identified, listened to and expectations are aligned
- Ensuring that the Product Backlog is visible, transparent, and clear to all involved
- Assist the business to identify a clear vision and objectives that for a scope of new product features and/or enhancements
- Owns the product backlog for their pillar or domain(Automate/Build/Control)
- Define and own standard assets that drive high quality processes and outcomes
- Define, size, prioritise, populate and manage product backlogs
- Continuous improvement philosophy and implementation
- Internal stakeholder identification and management including resolving conflict, blockers and issues
- Development of stakeholder communication plans.
- Effective escalation in the management of risk in all projects
- Create an inspiring team environment with an open communication culture within the Technical Product Management function
- Set and support the standards required within the Technical Product Management Team for a high performing culture and team
- Provide technical support and advice to the team providing oversight to their work and development
- Delegate tasks and set deadlines, overseeing the day-to-day operation of all people related activities
- Monitor team performance and report on agreed metrics, including benchmarking and periodic alignment with Industry Best Practice.
All roles within Atom must adhere to the Conduct Rules as set out by the Prudential Regulation Authority (PRA) and the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA).
As part of our journey in building and running a bank we’ll encounter many risks along the way. In order to make sure the road doesn’t become too bumpy we expect everyone to make a conscious effort to proactively tackle and highlight any risks that we might face.
What do we need from you?
- Previous working experience as a Product Owner in a fast paced, high-tech environment
- Experience leading & coaching a small team
- Experience of digital deliveries across web and mobile apps
- A strong business acumen, backed up by a good technical understanding
- In-depth knowledge of Agile process and principles
- Outstanding communication, presentation and leadership skills
- Be a creative thinker with sharp analytical and problem-solving skills
What would we ideally like from you?
- Knowledge and experience of the UK Fintech sector
- Experience of high-energy, fast-paced working environments
- Experience of leading-edge Mobile, Cloud & Big-Data technology stacks
- Appropriate Product Owner training and qualifications such as CSPO and/or SAFE PO
What you’ll get from us:
- Competitive Salary
- Annual Share Option – performance related
- Incredibly generous Company pension scheme (13% Atom contribution)
- ‘All About Me’ fund - £200 per year to spend on learning a new skill (but it can’t be anything to do with your job). Recently people have done upholstery courses, had driving lessons and a rowing membership.
- 25 days holiday + 8 statutory days - rising by half a day with every year in the company
- Private Medical Insurance for you and immediate family
- Health Cash Plan – expenses paid on Optical/Dental/other appointments/treatments
- Life Insurance – 4 times annual salary
- Critical illness cover – 1 x lump sum annual salary
- Cycle to work Scheme
- Continuous development – professional qualifications
- Remote & Hybrid working environment.
PLEASE NOTE: You must have the legal right to work in the UK to apply for this role as Atom is unable to support Visa Applications/Sponsorship
Atom is an equal opportunities employer.We value you as an individual and therefore disregard race, religion/belief, gender, sexual orientation, maternity/pregnancy, age, gender reassignment, marriage/civil partnership and disability in any hiring decisions we make. Atom will always adhere to the Equality Act 2010.
The legal bit.
If you send us your CV we'll use your details when we’re looking at your application for this job. We'll also store your CV for six months in case any roles that we think you'd be a great fit for become available.
If you don’t want us to use your details for this, or if you'd like any information at all about how we use your data, then just let us know at