As the UK’s most innovative fintech, we’re taking a mobile-first approach and redefining what a bank should be. Using technology, we’re making things easier, transparent and better value for people and businesses.
Based in Durham, we’re committed to bringing world-class career opportunities and developing a strong tech culture in the North East. Our team currently has 350 brilliant people and is still growing; could you be the next innovator to join us?
We’re looking for mindful, empathetic and self-aware people to join our teams in Durham and London, and help us innovate and disrupt the market with our cutting-edge, digital banking solution.
Here’s some of tech we use...
- Google Cloud Platform (GCP)
Our tech journey
We’re investing millions in building the best banking machine in the world on Google’s Cloud Platform. Read more about our move to GCP.
What else should you know…
Platform: We’ve taken the very best cloud native technologies and partnered them with contemporary data architecture to create a platform that we believe is the envy of the world. Read more about our partnership with Thought Machine and our use of hashed ledgers and smart contracts to change banking tech forever.
Agile principles: Our move to GCP means we can fully embrace agile principles with autonomous teams, rapid release cycles and automated testing.
Innovation: Named by KPMG as one of the top ten Global FinTech innovators for four consecutive years, and with multiple projects funded by the UK science budget to bring great analytics and tech to banking, you can expect to be working on cutting-edge projects utilising machine learning and artificial intelligence to transform the way people and businesses do banking.
We’re Atom bank
We’re an app-based bank, so we don’t have any branches on the high street. Traditional we are not. Even our ad campaigns are a little bit different.
- Featured in London Stock Exchange’s 1,000 Companies to Inspire Britain 2019
- Ranked 12th in Business Cloud’s 100 FinTech disruptors list which looks at the UK’s most exciting financial technology companies
- Named in the Chronicle’s top 50 best places to work in the North East (listed in the top 20)
- The UK’s most trusted bank on Trustpilot
Want to join us?
We’re on a mission to disrupt banking, and with exciting and challenging work and outstanding perks, it means we work in an environment in which you can personally grow.
That’s why, when we’re recruiting, we’re looking for individuals who are as enthusiastic and passionate as we are about changing banking for the better.
We have a great opportunity for a Test Manager who will be responsible for managing and coordinating the testing of projects and programmes within the Bank including assuring 3rd Party supplier testing. Previous Financial experience is essential and you will have excellent exposure to the principles of testing as well as working experience of Test Management tools (e.g. Zephyr), JIRA and industry standard automation tools.
All roles within Atom must adhere to the Conduct Rules as set out by the Prudential Regulation Authority (PRA) and the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA).
As part of our journey in building and running a bank we’ll encounter many risks along the way. In order to make sure the road doesn’t become too bumpy we expect everyone to make a conscious effort to proactively tackle and highlight any risks that we might face.
What will your ‘typical’ day look like…. (there’s no 2 days the same in Atom):
- Manage and deliver the testing of potentially multiple and concurrent Programmes/Projects across all test phases including System, Systems Integration, E2E and UAT using the appropriate tools, techniques and methodologies
- Define and manage the appropriate Test Strategy/Approach for Programmes and Projects according to the delivery method being followed (Agile/Waterfall/Mixed) in a changing environment against challenging deadlines
- Lead a distributed team consisting of Test Partner Test Resources (on/offshore/remote), managing the day to day activities of testing ensuring all the test activities are clearly defined and communicated, including periodically reviewing the test artefacts assuring quality and coverage
- Ensure that testing processes followed are as per Enterprise Test Framework and Enterprise Test Strategy, ensuring content and structure of all testing artefacts is documented and maintained to satisfy Risk and Audits
- Oversee production of robust Test Estimates using industry standard techniques
- Test Environment Management including defining environment requirements for all test workstreams, agreeing scheduling and approvals of changes into the environment
- Support Defect Management and coordination
- Test Resource and Test Data Management
- Test Progress reporting to Senior Stakeholders
- Mentoring and coaching team members
- Management of internal and external project stakeholders across all levels
- Maintenance of RAID logs
- Supporting Audit and Risk reviews
- Actively collaborate with peers, customers and 3rd parties to drive quality across the lifecycle, acting as an advocate for driving QA best practices across project lifecycle
- Innovate and improve the existing testing processes and capability to enhance the current maturity model, presenting and demonstrating the benefits to senior stakeholders and the wider business
- Continuous improvement of test process in-line with industry standards and common practices, extending the use of tools/frameworks
- Supporting the Senior Test Manager in Test Practice activities and initiatives
What do we need from you?
- ISEB/ISTQB Advanced Test Management certification or equivalent
- Financial/Banking experience
- Experience of managing testing on large Programmes/Projects in an agile/changing environment
- Experience working with external Test Partners and an external set of QA resources
- Experience of 3rd party Assurance
- Experience of working with Business Stakeholders – at all levels
- Excellent knowledge of testing principles, process, methodologies and tools
- Test Planning and Estimation experience
- Risk/Issue Management experience
- Experience of working in Agile environment
- Working experience of Test Management Tools
- Working experience of Jira
- Excellent communication, leadership and analytical skills
What would we ideally like from you?
- Experience of Automation using BDD frameworks, leading teams to deliver and enhance automation capability
- Experience of working in DevOps and CI/CD delivery environment
- Experience of Non-Functional Testing, leading teams to deliver NFT
- Proven experience in delivering improvements to Test Practices
- Experience in Mobile App Testing and Infrastructure testing
What you’ll get from us:
- Competitive Salary
- Annual Share Option – performance related
- Incredibly generous Company pension scheme, candidate contributes (maximum of 13% of Atom input – candidate can put in more)
- ‘All About Me’ fund - £200 per year to spend on personal development
- 25 days holiday + 8 statutory days - rising by half a day with every year in the company
- Private Medical Insurance for you and full family
- Health Cash Plan – expenses paid on Optical/Dental/other appointments/treatments
- Life Insurance – 4 times annual salary
- Critical illness cover – 1 x lump sum annual salary
- Cycle to work Scheme
- Continuous development – professional qualifications
- Challenging and exciting working environment
PLEASE NOTE: You must have the legal right to work in the UK to apply for this role as Atom Bank are unable to support Visa Applications/Sponsorship
How do I apply?
Email your application to
with the job title you’re applying for in the subject heading and attach your CV. This is your chance to be you.
The legal bit.
If you send us your CV we'll use your details when we’re looking at your application for this job. We'll also store your CV for six months in case any roles that we think you'd be a great fit for become available.
If you don’t want us to use your details for this, or if you'd like any information at all about how we use your data, then just let us know at