24 October 2018
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Wednesday 24th October
Atom bank included in Fintech100 for the fourth consecutive year
Atom bank, the UK’s first bank built exclusively for smartphone and tablet, has been listed in the H2 Ventures and KPMG’s Fintech100 which lists the world’s leading fintech innovators for 2018. The report highlights truly innovative companies, creating products and services at the juncture of technology and financial services who are seeking to disrupt the existing processes and products that dominate the marketplace.
The Durham-based bank has been ranked 9th in the listing and the highest in Europe for the fourth consecutive year since the bank was founded in 2014.
Mark Mullen, CEO of Atom bank said: ‘To be recognised as one of the world’s innovative companies is a huge honour and we’re especially thrilled to be listed in the top ten yet again. Our entire business model is based on offering our customers great value, together with faster and more innovative solutions, so the fact we have received this recognition is a testament to the Atom family’s success and talent.
Atom has had an incredible journey since we first started out four years ago and we’re excited to continue our journey and fulfil our ambition.”
The Fintech100 is a collaboration between H2 Ventures and KPMG featuring the world’s leading 50 Established Innovators, and the 50 most intriguing ‘Emerging Stars’. The full report is available at www .h2.vc/ f100 .
Note to Editors
After securing its banking license in June 2015, Atom bank launched operations in April 2016, offering market-leading Fixed Saver accounts and secured business lending for small and medium sized enterprises (‘SMEs’). From the start, Atom set out to build a customer- driven bank, designed to meet their new needs and optimised for mobile technologies.
Atom bank launched its first mobile mortgage product in December 2016 and has taken over £1.7bn of deposits and lent over £1.Sbn to small businesses and homeowners.
Atom is here to change banking, creating a disruptive and digital bank, keeping costs low and passing back the value to its customers. The Atom app is at the heart of the bank, with a 24/7 support team on hand to help with any customer queries through phone, chat, email and social media, working out of their Durham HO.
The Atom executive team are highly experienced, having built and run some of the most well respected banks in the UK. CEO Mark Mullen has 25 years’ experience in the sector and was previously CEO at the multi- award winning telephone and internet bank first direct. The team are supported by a strong non-exec board, which includes Chairman, Bridget Rosewell. Bridget has an economics background, is also Chairman of the Driver Vehicle Standards Agency and on the board of Network Rail as well as a Commissioner with the National Infrastructure Commission.
Since its creation in April 2014, Atom has:
- Raised almost £400m of equity capital through the support of private and institutional investors, including BBVA, Woodford Investment Management and Toscafund Asset Management
- Built a highly motivated and experienced team of around 300 permanent employees
- Been ranked 9th in KPMG’s ‘Global 2018 Fintech 100’ listing, and uniquely in the EU have been top10 in this listing for the last four years
- Ranked 1st in Tech World’s Digital Challengers list
- Ranked 14th in Linkedln’s Top 25 Startups’ 2017
- Voted the UK’s most recommended bank
- Industry leading NPS scores of +75
- Trustpilot score of 5/5
- 98% of customers said they would recommend us on Reevoo
- Established a global network of partners and suppliers
- Launched 3 and 6 month and 1, 2, 3 and 5 Year market-leading Fixed Saver accounts - Atom has taken £1.7bn in deposits so far
- Launched Digital Mortgages by Atom bank, offering secured lending to SMEs and residential mortgage products - Atom has loaned around £1.7bn to date
- will.i.am joined Atom bank as a Strategic Board Advisor, giving an external perspective on culture, community and technology
- Announced a four year STEM partnership with the Prince’s Trust in North East England
- Signed up to the Women in Finance Charter in 2016 and the Tech Talent Charter in 2017
- Announced the Atom Incubator to support North East startups at their HO in Durham
About KPMG Fintech
The Financial Services industry is transforming with the emergence of innovative new products, channels and business models. This wave of change is driven by evolving customer expectations, digitalization, as well as continued regulatory and cost pressures. We are passionate about supporting clients to successfully navigate this transformation, mitigating the threats and capitalizing on the opportunities. KPMG Global Fintech comprises professionals in over 45 fintech hubs around the world, working closely with financial institutions and fintech companies, to help them understand the signals of change, identify the growth opportunities and to develop and execute on their strategic plans.
About H2 Ventures
H2 Ventures is a global thought leader in fintech venture capital investment. Founded by brothers Ben and Toby Heap, and based in Sydney, Australia, it invests alongside entrepreneurs and other investors in early stage fintech ventures. H2 Ventures is the manager of the H2 Accelerator - Australia’s only dedicated fintech accelerator - and operates out of Sydney’s dynamic Startup Hub.