Recovery Loan Scheme (RLS)
- New and existing customers can apply
- Businesses who’ve previously taken out Government-backed lending can apply
- Can be used for new purchases or refinancing debt
How we can support your businesses
At Atom, we know how hard it’s been for small businesses in recent times, which is why we helped you access the Government’s Coronavirus Business Loan Interruption Scheme (CBILS) when it was available. Now, we now want to continue that support by offering secured business loans through the Recovery Loan Scheme (RLS).
We have been accredited to provide RLS loans by the British Business Bank. This means we can provide your business with Government-backed secured loans that are designed to help your business get back on its feet.
What is the Recovery Loan Scheme (RLS)?
The Government’s Recovery Loan Scheme can provide your business with essential finance if you’re struggling to recover or grow after the challenges of the Covid-19 pandemic.
If you take out a loan through RLS, you can use it for key business purposes, like cashflow, investment, and growth. It is designed to support businesses that can afford to take out additional finance for these purposes. A key aim of the RLS is to improve the terms on offer to businesses, but if a lender can offer a business the choice of a commercial loan on better terms, without requiring the guarantee provided by the RLS, they should do so.
If you have previously taken out Government-backed financial assistance through CBILS, CLBILS, or BBLS facilities, you are still eligible to apply for finance under the RLS, provided you meet all other eligibility criteria. The Scheme will be available until 31 December 2021, subject to review by the British Business Bank.
How does the RLS application process work?
To apply for an RLS loan with Atom, you’ll need a broker.
You can contact one of the independent brokers that we work with here at Atom. Doing so means that you can access independent advice, as well as receiving assistance with your application at every step.
What can the Recovery Loan Scheme offer my business?
- You will be able to apply for a secured business loan of a minimum of £250,000 up to a maximum of £5m, subject to our commercial lending policy
- We offer commitment periods of up to six years
- You can apply whether you are a new or existing Atom customer
- The loan can be used for business investment, to refinance existing debt, and for cashflow purposes
Is my business eligible for an RLS loan?
If your business fits the following criteria, your broker should be able to start an application on your behalf.
Your business must:
- Be UK-based in its business activity
- Self-certify that it has been impacted by COVID-19
- Provide suitable security for a secured loan in line with Atom’s commercial lending policy
- Have a borrowing proposal which Atom would consider viable in line with our commercial lending policy in place at time of application
- Be willing to undertake credit and fraud checks for all applicants
- Generate more than 50% of its turnover from trading activity
As defined by the British Business Bank, trading activity for RLS is any trading or commercial activity that generates turnover. the sale of goods or services. Rental income (as long as it is UK based) is classified as a service income and is acceptable for RLS.
- Not be subject to any relevant insolvency proceedings or collective insolvency procedure under national law.
You won’t be able to apply if you are a:
- Bank, building society, insurer or reinsurer (excluding insurance brokers)
- Public sector body
- State funded primary or secondary school.
How do I apply?
Think an RLS loan could help your business? Then you can speak to a broker who works with Atom to go over the details and check if the RLS is right for you. They will then make an application on your behalf and assist you through each step of the process.
You’ll find lots of answers to your questions here, but please don’t hesitate to call us. Remember, talking over your money worries with us will help take a weight off your mind.
British Business Bank support
The British Business Bank has a range of guidance and resources available to all businesses, including content on managing your cashflow and a list of independent advice services.
The Recovery Loan Scheme
The Recovery Loan Scheme is managed by the British Business Bank on behalf of, and with the financial backing of, the Secretary of State for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy. British Business Bank plc is a development bank wholly owned by HM Government. It is not authorised or regulated by the PRA or the FCA.