17 May 2018
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Date: 17th May 2018
Atom bank to sponsor North East’s biggest technology careers event
Atom bank, the UK’s first bank built exclusively for smartphone and tablet, has partnered with Tech Talent 2018 to take advantage of expertise in the region as it expands its technology team.
Tech Talent will host its third event at the Crowne Plaza in Newcastle on Thursday 24th May and will bring together businesses and jobseekers from across the digital sector.
The Durham-based bank is proud of its roots and is committed to creating opportunities in technology, in order to enhance its digital capabilities for the future.
Rana Bhattarchya, Atom bank’s Chief Technology Officer said: “Enhancing our digital capabilities remains a priority for Atom and is central to our business model. This investment in technology and innovation will make our business more efficient and agile, resulting in a better experience for our customers.
“We are expanding our technology team and have a wide range of roles available. Atom has a brilliant culture and we are eager to take advantage of the talent on our doorstep. We bring lots of opportunity to the North East and we are committed to driving positive change in the region.”
More than 1,000 graduates and professionals are expected to attend on the day, along with around 70 of the region’s leading employers.
Jill McKinney, Head of Skills and Training at Sunderland Software City, said: “Atom bank is a brilliant example of a disruptor that has made the North East its home. People who are looking for exciting career options – whether that’s young people or more experienced professionals - no longer need to move out of the region to find them.
“With Tech Talent 2018 we want to showcase the growing North East tech sector and the opportunities this brings. Whether you’re a software developer, or want to work in non-technical roles but for a tech company, Tech Talent can help you find a job you love. We’re really pleased to be partnering with Atom bank as part of their recruitment drive and look forward to introducing them to 100s of talented individuals on 24th May.”
Note to Editors
After securing its banking license in June 2015, Atom bank launched operations in April 2016, offering market-leading Fixed Saver accounts and secured business lending for small and mediumsized enterprises (‘SMEs’). From the start, Atom set out to build a customer- driven bank, designed to meet their new needs and optimised for mobile technologies.
Atom bank launched its first mobile mortgage product a year ago and has recently announced it has taken £1.3bn of deposits and has now lent £1.2bn to small businesses and homeowners.
The Atom executive team are highly experienced, having built and run some of the most well respected banks in the UK. CEO Mark Mullen has 25 years’ experience in the sector and was previously CEO at the multi- award winning telephone and internet bank first direct. The team are supported by a strong non-exec board, which includes newly appointed Chair, Bridget Rosewell. Bridget has also been the chair of Atom’s audit committee since 2014. She has an economics background and is also Chairman of the Driver Vehicle Standards Agency and on the board of Network Rail as well as a Commissioner with the National Infrastructure Commission.
Atom bank are here to change banking, creating a disruptive and digital bank, keeping costs low and passing back the value to its customers. The Atom app is at the heart of the bank, with a 24/7 support team on hand to help with any customer queries through phone, chat, email and social media, working out of their Durham HQ.
Since its creation in April 2014, Atom has:
- Raised almost £400m of equity capital through the support of private and institutional investors, including BBVA, Woodford Investment Management and Toscafund Asset Management
- Built a highly motivated and experienced team of around 300 permanent employees
- Been ranked 8th in KPMG’s ‘Global 2017 Fintech 100’ listing, and uniquely in the EU have been top10 in this listing for the last three years.
- Ranked 1st in Tech World’s Digital Challengers list
- Ranked 14th in LinkedIn’s ‘Top 25 Startups’
- Voted the UK’s most recommended bank
- Industry leading NPS scores in relation to Savings Product and Savings App Journey of 73%
- Trustpilot score of 5/5
- 98% of customers said they would recommend us on Reevoo
- Established a global network of partners and suppliers
- Launched 1, 2, 3 and 5 Year market-leading Fixed Saver accounts - Atom has nearly £1.3bn in deposits so far
- Launched Digital Mortgages by Atom bank, offering secured lending to SMEs and residential mortgage products - Atom has loaned around £1.2bn to date
- will.i.am joined Atom bank as a Strategic Board Advisor, giving an external perspective on culture, community and technology
- Partnered with Deposit Solutions and passported its deposit taking licence to Germany to access German retail savings market to diversify funding options and increase deposits
- Announced a four year STEM partnership with the Prince’s Trust in North East England
- Signed up to the Women in Finance Charter in 2016 and the Tech Talent Charter in 2017